Saturday, February 25, 2012

Security Breach

I have noticed that the growth technology is running rampant within out schools. Thinking back to when I was in high school, ranging from 7 to 3 years ago, there was a higher number of computers being used to facilitate learning. In my high school, and middle school for that matter, each student was provided a laptop to be used for the purposes of integrating technology in the classroom, providing us with another resource for doing research; especially for those students who may not have a computer to use at home, and making access to school resources a little bit easier. I loved the laptop provided to me, even though it was a Mac which I cannot say is my favorite type of laptop. I loved it so much that I, like many other students in the school, would try to do anything to bypass securities that were integrated into the system.


We were not allow to access any social networking websites, game websites, or any other website that would not be deemed "school appropriate" while under the school's wireless network. Although we were students who, for the most part, were fairly amateur with hacking and security bypassing skills, we found a way to crack the system within I believe to be the first month of receiving the laptop. Now there is of course a point to my narrative. Although integrating computer technology into students learning can be very beneficial, students will look for anyway to take advantage of the technology and make it more entertaining and distracting. Kudos to the school officials for their noble attempt at making the laptops "school friendly". They had the right idea, but they failed to take into account that teenagers of the 21st century are tech-savvy and are diligent at getting what they want.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Kevin
    I can relate. In highschool, students weren't provided laptops but rather we all used the computer labs and the library. Every few weeks, word would get around about a new proxy server that will allow us, students, to view any site we wanted. Students still spent their time on Myspace and game websites during computer class and sometimes the teachers got so tired of yelling at the student, they gave up and so the students got away with a lot of mischief.

    So the question I pose to you is, 'Is there a way to prevent the student's from getting what they want--full internet access?"
    With the continuous developments of new technologies and new hacks, I'm not sure we can always block uneducational websites from our students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,

    I couldn't agree with you more. While I did not get the Mac laptops that you received, me and my classmates did everything to do bypass walls that prevented us from going onto to websites like Facebook and MySpace. It was always a fun thing to do. I remember doing this often in my Engineering class in high school and I would always get my computer taken over by my teacher who would ex out of the websites that we were on that were not relevant to the course.

    ReplyDelete