Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Interactivity #3


I found putting together this inventory with my group to be both rewarding and a challenge. I discovered that finding ten or more different technologies which differed from the rest of my group to be difficult because there are not that different many technologies to choose from. Most of them were interactive which somehow modeled how to perform some sort of task such as graphing, performing arithmetic, and modeling mathematical ideas using graphics. I wanted to avoid finding technologies which were too similar because I found the idea of this interactivity to be to find various different technologies which perform different tasks.
            Granted, my group mates and I ended up being successful at researching technologies which would benefit a mathematics classroom. I believe that the final inventory is complete and well organized because each technology has been placed under a category which well describes its basic idea and usage. Although this inventory is thorough and varied, I do not believe I will be using many of these technologies in my classroom because many of them do not appear to be efficient and I believe there are other more effective technologies in the list which make use of the less effective technologies and use them in a more well-organized and overall better way. For example, the software “Maple” takes the graphing technologies of the “line graph tool” and makes use of them in a more improved useful way. Now, for a less technologically savvy teacher, some of the simpler programs may be more effective because they will be more likely to understand how they work and how to use them effectively in the classroom; especially if they are a seasoned teacher.
In combination, the technologies listed can be effective tools and should be used in any classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Kevin, can you help me understand what aspects of the project led to authentic collaboration?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few aspects that I believe led to authentic collaboration. Since we had to complete this project as a group, it gave us the opportunity to put our minds together in order to create a well thought-out collection of useful classroom technologies. Also, since we, and many other groups, could not necessarily meet up to work on it, we would use the Google Docs instant messenger and text messaging to collaborate with each other. I believe the necessity to work as a group is the main reason for the collaboration to be authentic though.

    ReplyDelete